Sunday, February 28, 2010

February





Sunshine, daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths are popping up all over. Our camellias are blooming, standing like giant red, white, and pink rose trees, and the grass is greening up. All winter, I nursed a small garden of kale, collards, chard, and carrots, along with overwintering cauliflower and Brussels sprouts which are now shooting up in anticipation of spring.

Nicholai, Izzy, Kelley and I took a long hike this morning. Then we all settled in at home to enjoy the warm late winter day. The human family played a few rounds of croquet and then in shorts and a T-shirt, I planted mixed salad greens and spinach and put in my peas while Izzy baked in the sun on the sidewalk, Kelley brought toys to the garden for me to throw, and Nicholai lounged in the grass.

I love hangin' out in the yard and garden. Nicholai loves it too, and often will whine at me in a quiet voice and raise one front paw, asking me to come and sit with him, to rub his belly, and massage his back. This last day of February – in the warm afternoon sun – was a perfect day to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment