Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sacajawea Dog Park



 

First off on my tour of Portland's dedicated dog parks is Sacajawea. Located on 75th just north of Prescott, it is less than five minutes by car from my NE Portland home. On busy mornings, it can make a quick, fun stop. Armed with a few tennis balls and chuck-it, three dogs can be, well, dog-tired, in thirty minutes or so.

Connected with tiny Sacajawea Park, the dog area is small. I walked the perimeter with time to scoop poop and toss a ball repeatedly in less than five minutes. But it is adequate to stand at one end and lob a ball as far as you can, allowing a dog to run full out to retrieve it.

As one of the newer dog parks, it has a nice two-gate system for easy entry and exit. Garbage cans are located at each exit and plastic bags are normally on hand. Someone – I don't know who – supplies water in plastic jugs and water dishes have always been present when I am there.

There is a conspicuous lack of shelter, not a tree stands inside the dog area, so no respite from pouring rain, or no shade on a sunny day. The surface is grassy, though I'm sure that by mid-January, it will be a mud mess.

Rarely crowded, it could be a nice place to take a dog who dislikes too much company. On the other hand, my social pup is a tad lonely there most days we stop by. One gentleman I've seen a few times takes advantage of the birch-bark trail outside the dog fence. He drops his dogs inside, then jogs a few laps on the trails, his dogs following along inside.

Most days, I prefer a larger area for dogs to romp and me to hike. But I am quite happy to have such a fun little play area so close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment