Thursday, January 28, 2010

On the Road - Again


This morning we hit the trail – again. Day after day it's more of the same, long walks in the woods or at the river, interspersed with bits of jogging and hill-climbing. You'd think it would get boring, but it never does.

This morning I heard a sound as if the wheels of a mechanical device squeaked along, needing a good oiling. Surprised, I surveyed the surroundings, at first seeing nothing that could produce the noise. Finally, following the din up, up, up, I spied a pair of bald eagles, sitting together high in the bare branches of a cottonwood tree, commenting loudly – perhaps about the state of the environment, I'm not sure, I don't speak eagle.

Every day there is something – a coyote with a pup, the musky scent of a deer, or a surprise small flock of hooded mergansers – to connect me with the circle of living things. Every day, small, but palpable changes occur in the wind, the color of the sky, the water level of the rivers, pulling me away from the razzle-dazzle frazzle of human machinations and drawing my roots deeper into soulful old mother earth.

If I didn't have my dogs to take me for walks, I might get lost on the runaway train of city life. I might forget that I am part of a pulsing, beautiful, living organism.

Thanks, dogs. My life is better because of your canine consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment