Thursday, May 20, 2010

More Green Than Pink

Cancer Compatriots, Nicholai and his Aunt Joan

Thanks so much to those of you who follow my rants here on Dead Dog Walking. I will continue to write the blog at least as long as I have Mr. Pickle, it's my commitment to witnessing his process and making sure stories of survival with cancer have a venue to be known in the wider world. I appreciate each and every reader, and each and every comment you provide.

That said; I hope no one is disappointed by the wandering nature of my ramblings. One day I'm spouting off about lack of real cancer prevention efforts, another I'm ranting about the food production system, still another I'm waxing on about the glories of running. Please bear with me as I muse on the issues that flood my mind and heart as I walk Nicholai's last mile – or two … or three – with him.

So, on to the whole pink ribbon thing. Perusing the Komen Foundation's web site, I was discouraged to see that information about prevention of breast cancer focuses almost entirely on risk factors women don't control, such as age, gender (no kidding), genetic or family history – remember this is only 5% of cases, national origin, breast density, blood estrogen levels, age of onset of menses, etc. There is small mention on the role of exercise and alcohol consumption. This focus on demographic factors would leave women to feel nearly powerless to influence our risk or outcome. In the Foundation's early years, the vast majority of funding was slated for understanding the biology of breast cancer – which in itself is not a bad goal. In the past two years, the bulk of funding continues to be for biology, early detection, diagnosis, and treatment, with only 25% of funding dedicated to causation, prevention, and survival outcomes.

I'm in favor of research for cures, but tend to think pharmaceutical companies that stand to earn billions with drug sales might be expected to fund the bulk of this research. I want to see effective treatments that cause the least harm and suffering in their application, I'm all for cures. But more than pharmaceutical cures, I have a vision.

I envision of a world clean and healthy for us all; a world in which we don't have to lose our body parts as a result of what we've eaten, touched, breathed, or drunk. A world where we can rest easy about consumption of animal foods, knowing all animal lived lives of grace, health, and beauty. I dream of a world where most cancer can be prevented and where we hold governments and corporations accountable, demanding that they not contaminate our bodies and our environment. I want to see a world where one in four of all dogs and one in two dogs over age ten will not die of cancer, but live long, crossing the rainbow bridge only when their aged hearts finally beat their last.

I respect the visibility the Susan G. Komen Foundation has given to breast cancer, but still the number of breast cancer sufferers rises. Early detection efforts have made modest, though real, gains in survival, and this is critical. Still, real efforts at prevention are so minimal as to be mostly lip service.

With all respect, in the struggle against the dominion of cancer, I will be embracing and espousing more green than pink.

1 comment:

  1. Mary, you are wonderful...a wonderful thinker, writer and dog mom...no need to apologize for your ramblings, for there are nuggets of good thought, observation and wisdom all along the way. I appreciate being able to follow along.

    And thank you for these thoughts about real prevention. It's funny, but even though I know I know better, I still find myself falling a bit into the trap well-laid by the pharms that there is only a narrow way to look at cancer (and numerous other diseases and conditions, for that matter) - their way - it's good to be reminded otherwise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete