Sunday, June 13, 2010

Golden Morning

The arrival of summer sun had me awake early, a very long to-do list in my head – mostly "to do" with finally putting the winter garden to bed and hustling in the summer plants. Still, the siren call of the trail – any trail – rang loudest. I rousted nine-year old Tim from sleep and we fortified ourselves with coffee and baked goods then headed to the edge of the city where our unruly crew can all romp without disturbing anybody's peace.


The sky a clear blue and the sun shining brightly, we were early enough the temperature was moderate and a mild cooling breeze sweetly lapped our bare arms and legs. Spring's verdant green was already turning golden, making me hope for more refreshing rains. With grass taller than he is, Tim soon asked, "Can we turn back now?" "Just a few more minutes," I replied. It was a jungle out there, but I wanted to be sure all three dogs had an adequate romp for the day.

I scanned the field below us for any sign of old coyote. I have seen her here before, stealing into the brush as morning twilight turns to day. This morning, I suspected we were too late; though early, the summer sun was up a couple of hours before.

Izzy and Kelley raced each other up and down the trail. Nicholai trotted along at an easy pace, stopping frequently to inspect scents. When I tired of tromping through prairie-like grasses, we turned and headed for the car and our pleasing day in yard and garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment