Monday, August 16, 2010

Angels and Trees


We're still talking about Nicholai around here, especially the youngest and me. We miss our "bubba" and can't help wondering about the nature of life after death – specifically, where is Nicholai now, and what is he doing?

For my part, I tend to be a Doubting Thomas. (For those of you who didn't grow up Catholic, Thomas was the apostle who didn't believe Jesus had risen by hearing the tale, he needed to put his own hands in the wounds. He was a scientific, see-for-yourself, proof kind of guy.) I don't imagine how there's a heaven that a)can fit all the souls who come and go over millennia, b)isn't incredibly boring – an eternity of harp strumming?, and c)has never been able to be found or shown or measured or … well, you can see how I am. I told Tim I doubted Nicholai existed as his dog-self but in see-through ghost form; I figure he's more particles of light or energy, maybe the impulse for a new life to be formed.

Tim's response was there's a lot more to outer space than the sky we can see from earth; he figures space goes on for infinity like all the souls, so heaven is out there with plenty of room for everyone. He is sure – without any proof – Nicholai is with Molly and Kali and his other departed dog friends and they are all waiting for us. His red-eyed certainty made me teary, I responded at least if Nicholai is hanging out in verdant celestial fields, he is no longer bothered by annoying tumors or difficult breath, he's vigorous and having a great time (I hope).

An acquaintance from outrigger canoe paddling days is currently struggling with pancreatic cancer. Thanks to her for sharing this poem by Mary Oliver, it touches just the right spot in my questioning, healing heart.

About Angels and About Trees by Mary Oliver


 

Where do angels

fly in the firmament,

and how many can dance

on the head of a pin?


 

Well, I don't' care

about that pin dance.

what I know is that

they rest, sometimes,

in the tops of the trees


 

and you can see them,

or almost see them

or, anyway, think: what a

wonderful idea.


 

I have lost as you and

others have possibly lost a

beloved one,

and wonder, where are they now?


 

The trees, anyway, are

miraculous, full of

angels (ideas); even

empty they are a

good place to look, to put

the heart at rest – all those

leaves breathing the air, so


 

peaceful and diligent, and certainly

ready to be

the resting place of

strange, winged creatures

that we, in this world, have loved.

1 comment:

  1. Dog walking is the most important aspect of training. It is the foundation for all other training areas. Many clients come to us because they are fed up with their dog's behavior on the walk. The reasons are many and most start with the owner.

    Dog Walking Toronto

    ReplyDelete