Saturday, August 21, 2010

Three Blooms Instead of Two


Two blooms appeared on each of our tropical houseplants – two orchids and one anthureum – in the week before Nicholai died. Two blooms each. The anthureum hadn't bloomed since it was purchased years previous, the same for the luscious smelling mauve orchid. The third was an orchid I purchased immediately upon learning of Nicholai's diagnosis in 2009. After the initial flowers faded, it too remained bloomless, calling into question our family's collective green thumbs – at least when it came to delicate tropical plants.

I didn't assign particular meaning to the simultaneous appearance of two blooms on each plant (why two?), but was touched by the coincidence. It was as if life noticed the passing of my sweet boy-dog and presented a gift in remembrance – like the friends and family who sent flowers and cards.

Meanwhile, I've wondered where Nicholai's soul is; where all of us go when we die. I watch and wait for a sign or a feeling, something to tell me everything's alright, that my Nichol-bubba has made it safe and sound to … somewhere safe and sound. I want to know that he's okay, and selfishly, I want to feel him with me, at least in an ethereal way.

Nicholai grew up with two older female Lab mixes who were mentors, friends, and surrogate moms to him. Kali taught him to guard the perimeter and bark at every passer-by. Molly tolerated each puppy antic and adolescent faux-pas, allowing tiny and then substantial Nicholai to snuggle close whenever he felt the need. Kali died nearly five years ago and Nicholai assumed the official role of guard-dog-in-chief. When Molly died just before Christmas three years ago, Nicholai mourned for two long days, pawing my arm, leaning his head on my shoulder nuzzling my cheek with his wet nose, whining and howling at intermittent intervals all day and night. I'd say he loved her.

This morning I noticed a small third blossom on the fragrant deep pink orchid. Just one additional blossom beginning to open its petals, making three where a couple weeks ago there were only two.

Again I am reluctant to ascribe mystery and meaning where there mightn't be any. But I've been asking for a sign to know that Nicholai has arrived at his next destination, that he's safe and happy. Perhaps the flowers are helping me to understand what my rational mind cannot.

I choose to take the budding orchid as a missive from my best guy. Nichol-Pickle is safely on his journey and Kali and Molly have been there to guide him on the way.

I have three delightful, aromatic flowers as my symbol that all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment