Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Walk Home


To hold too tightly would be the wrong thing. I know this, know my old boy-dog so well, I'm barely tempted to cling when the time comes to let go.

My promise to Nicholai is to walk with him on his last paces home. It's a hard walk, a journey that requires presence of the soul, a journey that demands continued attendance. There are moments I want to look away from the hard work of dying, just get it over with. But we have come too far and shared too much; it is both my burden and my honor to stay with him till the end.

Breath is raspy, biscuits are turned down, and he struggles to his feet, pushing with a mighty effort to raise his suddenly weakened back end. His eyes are tired. We are in the final chapter.

Garth Stein, Art of Racing in the Rain; "… after a dog dies, his soul is released into the world around us. His soul is released to run in the world, run through the fields, enjoy the earth, the wind, the rivers, the rain, the sun, the –

When a dog dies, his soul is released to run until he is ready to be reborn. I remember."

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for the loss of your dear friend, but thank you for letting me know him through your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. I told his mama tonight. She looked right through me. I then had to tell her the news that she is not a Pit bull. Neither one of us believe it. Our thoughts are with you.

    Deb and Molly

    ReplyDelete