Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ahh … Summer


Rolling out of bed with the sun, imbibing coffee, and hitting the river's edge by six a.m. Finding untracked sand and sunlight glistening off gently lapping waves. Little or no company in the wee hours, making for perfect running, romping, garbage inspecting, ball-chasing, swimming fun-in-the-sun.

To say I am happy to have Nicholai accompany me on these July jaunts is to overuse the fine art of understatement. I revel in the wonder of his companionship this far out. Perhaps by the end of the week or next week at the latest, the water will have warmed sufficiently for me to take the plunge. That is Nicholai's favorite way to swim – with his Mary. If we have a second post-diagnosis summer swimming together, it will be some crazy kind of blessing.

I am holding my breath this July, wondering if the heat will knock Nicholai back, or if time will simply run out; wondering if he'll need to fly over the rainbow bridge in search of Maya, or a host of departed dog family and friends – Molly, Kali, Dempsey, or Teirney. Wondering what week, what day things will change – will it be a quick decline or slow.

I remind myself to stick with the dog. The dog knows what the human doesn't. It simply doesn't matter what day and what week and what time the end comes. Worrying about it puts a pall on today. Today the sun shone bright and the company was impeccable. No day but today.

Ahhh … summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment